Thursday 16 February 2017

The power of kindness.....or #gdnbloggers

Today I toodled into London to the Garden Press Event, a yearly event aimed at people who write about gardens. I had never been before but several people had said what a great event it was so I decided to go along.
And there were some fabulous exhibitors who were there to talk about their products and who were extremely generous with both their time and their gifts, and I'll be talking about those at a later date, but something else came to mind that needs expressing first.....
Now it's no secret that I am a big fan of social media. I've been tweeting, facebooking and Instagramming for years now and it's always been, for me, a positive thing that has truly enhanced my life and given me the confidence I have to do what I do. But today really brought that home, in quite a moving way. 
 Me and the lovely Charles who I first chatted with via Twitter, having a right old laugh!! Photo by the lovely Steph Hafferty who I also met on Twitter!!

Today a community came together. An extraordinary community of garden bloggers, all different but joined together by a love of gardens and growing. A community which is supportive, generous and kind. A community that usually chats on Facebook and Twitter but that today came together and made a statement. Not a spoken or written statement but a silent one that said we are a community that will support each other. A community that has, when needed, one voice, albeit made of multiple voices. 
 
These were such good fun and as you can see were shared as an Instagram story-a new and fun way to share your day!

And then I looked around and realised that it was more than that. There were people on stands, exhibitors and journalists who are all friends that have been made through the joys of social media. Through sharing posts, through sharing successes  and failures and through a combined love for what we all do, this community is growing, gaining traction and creating a slightly alternative voice within mainstream garden media.
Since the garden bloggers community became a more structured entity through organised Twitter chats and Facebook groups I think, probably unbeknowingly, a force has been unleashed. With more people using social media, exploring different platforms and enjoying conversations with each other and joining in with conversations, using hashtags and generally getting on no matter where in the world they physically are, it feels, to me at least, that there's somewhere to go for help, advice and most importantly for support.
And I think this can only become more exciting as we go forwards. For years many of us have said we'd like to see an alternative to the traditional garden press, and perhaps here it is, all around us without us actually realising!!
So if you want to join in then do!! You don't even need to be a blogger to join in the conversation really. Just get online and look out for posts with the tag #gdnbloggers and get involved!
 

13 comments:

  1. So sorry I missed you today. I'd have loved to have hooked up with you. Never mind - there's always social media.
    Take Care x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a rather fabulous community, I agree. I love being part of such a friendly, sharing & supportive group. I hope to get to one of the events to meet people in person some day. But in the meantime, I'll keep enjoying the contact on Twitter and with #gdnbloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a great day and I agree, the garden bloggers community has become, well, just that - a community. I'm sorry I missed the main meet up but the day for me was made really special by being able to see so many people I knew and so many I am pleased to now call friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful post and I love the garden bloggers community. Being new to gardening everyone has accepted me and been so kind. We rock #gdnbloggers

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was lovely to meet you at last Sara. And because of blogging and twitter - I just felt I knew you - and felt totally at home in your company. I was a bit nervous about attending the event. So far to travel, and would I know anyone? But when I saw all the garden bloggers I felt part of a supportive and friendly network.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a really great day and it was so nice to meet the people behind the blogs and Facebook pages and groups that we belong too, I can't add anymore you said it so well. Here is looking forward to next year when we can hopefully do it again

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a marvellous day and yes, the gardening community on social media is a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post - I agree, the garden blogging community is fun, friendly and filled with interesting people with so much enthusiasm and expertise. Great to meet so many today. Can't wait for our next meet up ☺

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic post Sara - totally agree the garden bloggers community is such a great one. Such a warm supportive network. ��

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post, Sara. It was my first time at the event too, made extra special by the bloggers meet up. So lovely to meet you at last!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Garden Bloggers! Thanks for this article Sara. Hoping to meet more of them in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really agree with you Sara, about the sense of community on Twitter and other social media...Certainly a mutually supportive group of plant and nature lovers... I've met a few in person, and hope to meet more, but still there are growing friendships and associations... As you say, it's an online community that's growing and developing together, learning, sharing, and promoting plants and a healthy natural world..I certainly appreciate the information, inspiration and sense of community online...Thanks for sharing what sounds like a really wonderful gathering. Fingers crossed, it might become an annual event...

    ReplyDelete