Wednesday 24 May 2017

Todays Favourite............Mexican Tree Spinach.

One of the great things about working with edibles is finding the plants that are so beautiful that they look as fabulous in an herbaceous border as they do in a food garden or allotment. For me gardens, whether ornamental or productive, or a mix, should primarily be places of beauty and this is a plant that without a doubt adds a level of beauty, along with some glamour.



Growing to around 4-5 feet in height it's tips are pink and almost glittery. What's not to love?

6 comments:

  1. I love it too! I first grew it after seeing it in one of Joy Larkcom's books ... in the 1980s. I don't sow seeds any more as I leave at least one plant to go to seed and nature does the rest. Seedling in the wrong place go into salads or become a refreshing garden snack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Celia-it's such a beautiful plant and I would hate to be without it but it does fling itself around!!

      Delete
  2. Just spotted the first volunteer on the patch. It gets everywhere so vigilance is needed to stop it taking over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is but it's really easy to hoe off and easy to spot with it's pink buds!!

      Delete
  3. Red Orache (aka Mountain Spinach) does the same and has glorious pink seed heads at the end. I've been meaning to grow this tree spinach since I saw it in Naomi Schillinger's allotment plot a few years ago, the colour is so striking! What's the taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It tastes a bit like spinach and you cook it exactly the same way, or eat it as fresh new shoots in salad. I love it and it always starts a conversation!!

      Delete